Caister's Tavern ca. 1845-1854 43°18'01.1"N 80°50'47.4"W
Caleb Caister Sr. came from England to Oxford County in 1833. In 1836 he settled on this site, cleared farmland and built a one-storey log building. The building was his family home but it also served as an inn and tavern. Until 1848, when what is now Tavistock was established, Caister's home was the only public accommodation in north-central Oxford for pioneers moving along the Huron Road and thence southerly into the Zorra settlement. By the 1840's Caister held an official inn licence and a survey map of the time shows that his log dwelling was known in the locality as Caister's Tavern.
Oxford Road #59, south-west of Tavistock, Ontario
Google Maps location: 43.300303, -80.846495
Ballantyne Settlement 1839
Erected 1929 to commemorate and mark the settlement of the Ballantyne family.
1_ Downie 1839
Concession 3, Lot 16
Downie Township, Perth County
1879 Perth County Atlas shows Mrs. R.J. Ballantyne as being the owner of this land.
Other Ballantynes owned adjacent lots: R.J. Ballantyne, Robert Ballantyne, William Ballantyne, and James Ballantyne
Perth County Road #130, south-west of Sebringville, Ontario
Google Maps location: 43.380039, -81.064687